7th Cousins is an automythography in development by Erin Brubacher and Christine Brubaker.
Truth, tales, and what’s in the spaces in between a shared and imagined past, present and future.
From July 7th - August 6th 2015, we walked 700km, from Pennsylvania to Ontario.
A stranger asked if we were walking to learn how to work and be together: This was certainly part of it.
In the early process of unpacking, we tried to tell one version of our walk, in 32 images for our 32 day journey.
Details about upcoming performances, July 2017-July 2018, coming soon.
- Exactly one year after our first kilometre on foot, we spent another July together -- in The Theatre Centre incubator. With the direction of Christopher Stanton and design from Simon Rabyniuk, we began to develop a performance combining memory, myth, storytelling, documentary theatre, and extreme physicality in the traces of an embodied journey. Workshop presentations were held on July 28th & 29th.
At the conclusion of our walk we began the unpacking. We offered The Unpacking as a part of the Live Art Series for the Summerworks Performance Festival in August, 2015.
A walk; an attempt to remember the trip without the help of any photographs or other prompts; unpacking photographs; mapping out the route; stitching the route together; stories through picture prompts; and a 'Midnight Supper' POTLUCK.
700 photos from The Unpacking
Mapping from The Unpacking
- An Invitation
People had been asking about joining us, or saying they wished that they could walk… So, on Sunday July 19th and Sunday July 26th, we invited people to walk ‘with us’.
These were the instructions:
1. Find a person to walk with. You are invited to walk in pairs.
2. Pick a starting-point and an end-point for a six-hour journey of your choosing. (If six hours is too much for you, you can chart a shorter journey that is right for you. The length and frequency of your stops along the way are up to you.) You can also just commit to walking, and decide the direction as you are join.
3. Email us to let us know that you are joining. We will let you know about ways to be in touch with us and others who are walking, if you like. We can also suggest some things for you, to try while you are walking— things that we are trying.
4. Start walking at 9am, Eastern Standard Time, on your chosen day (July 19th or 26th). We will begin at 9am too.
It will be nice to know that you are walking, while we are walking.
- Brubach/ker Family Dinner, December 2014
You can like/ follow us on Facebook here.
7th Cousins would like to aknowledge the support of The Ontario Arts Council, The Canada Council for the Arts and the Toronto Arts Council for early stages of this work. Also great thanks to the following Theatre Companies who supported our walk through the OAC Theatre Creators Reserve program: Nightwood Theatre, The Theatre Centre, Summerworks, Pat The Dog, The Blyth Festival, Theatre Gargantua, Festival Players and Common Boots.